Setapp is an online subscription service that will allow you to access a large number of apps on your Mac (more than 230), for only $9.99 a month.
Additionally, you can add iOS devices for an extra cost (per month) to access some of the apps, although not all the apps available on macOS are available on iOS / iPadOS.
Setapp Basic Pricing
Although Setapp is initially advertised as a subscription of $9.99 per month, due to currency exchange and taxes, the reality is that the final price always varies a little from what is proposed depending on where you live.
The good news is that you can make an annual payment to save some bucks (10%)
- Monthly payment $9.99
- Annual payment $8.99 x 12 = $107.88
As you can see, making the annual payment is not bad at all.
If you want to use for instance the writing app Ulysses (included in Setapp), you would have to pay $50 per year if you used it through the Ulysses store.
Remember, the price of $9.99 (or $8.99 if you pay annually) will allow you to use the apps in just one Mac.
- If you want to use the apps on your iOS devices (iPhone & iPad), you’ll need to pick the middle plan, which costs $12.49/month (or $11.24 if you pay yearly)
More devices pricing
If besides your iOS devices, you want to use Setapp on more Macs, for instance, because you have on Macbook Pro and one iMac, you should pick the third plan, which will allow you to use the apps in up to 4 Macs, and on your iOS devices.
This plan costs $14.99/month, $13.49 if you pay yearly.
Setapp pricing for teams
You can also use Setapp for your team.
In this scenario, you’ll pay $9.99 per member, device, and month, and you’ll need to pay extra $2.49 per month if you want to add other devices or members to the subscription.
As you can see, you can also get a small discount if you pay yearly.
- Important Note: if you are a school or a non-profit organization, you could also benefit from an additional 50% discount on the team plans.
Does Setapp have education discount?
If you are a student, you could get Setapp membership with a 50% discount, this is just $4.99/month.
You just need to sign up with an email from the following domains:
@edu, @ac.uk, @SCH.UK, @elev.norrkoping.se, @norrkoping.se, @stavangerskolen.no, @bvsd.org, @qmul.ac.uk, @bedford.k12.ma.us, @pusd.us, @mcqstudent.org, @mcquaid.org, @poolehigh.poole.sch.uk, @gcs.k12.nc.us, @tricityprep.org, @student.tricityprep.org, @thurstable.co.uk, @thurstable.essex.sch.uk, @gracemont.k12.ok.us, @hanoverpublic.org, @northandrew.org
If yours is not on the list, contact Setapp.
On your Mac, Setapp works as a standalone app.
The interface is pretty straightforward.
Within the sidebar you’ll be able to discover/manage apps:
- On the Explorer: a dashboard that includes recommended apps for you, how to tutorials that use some of the setapp apps, new arrivals, to find what’s just added, recently updated… You’ll use this dashboard the most.
- Favorites: you can mark any app as favorite. This is really helpful in order to quickly find your apps on other Macs, or when you make a fresh install of the OS.
- On This Mac: is just a filter that shows what’s installed on your machine, useful for uninstall unused apps.
- Collections: here you’ll find grouped apps manually selected for different purposes: Get things Done, Boost Security, Fix common Problems…
- All Apps: classic list divided by categories: Productivity, Education, Maintenance…
Once you find the app you need, just open it and click the Install button, the download will start automatically, and you’ll find the app on your Launchpad, and on your Applications/Setapp Folder.
How to uninstall Setapp Apps
If you are done with an app, or you just want to get rid of it, within the same App Card within Setapp, instead of Open it, hit the small arrow to find the “uninstall” option in the context menu.
Setapp iPhone & iPad
Within the sidebar of the Setapp Mac App, there is a special category called “available on iOS”, which filters all the apps available on iOS and iPadOS.
Installing Setapp apps on your iPhone or iPad is really easy, you just need to follow 3 simple steps.
1. Find the App you want to install
And click on “iOS App”
2. Download the App scanning the QR code
Or find it manually on the App Store.
3. Click the “unlock full version tab”
Then scan again the new QR Code with your camera, the app will be unlocked automagically.
Best Setapp Apps
Setapp is not like the typical “X0 Bundle” where only a couple of apps are worthy.
You’ll find real good quality apps in here.
In my opinion, these are some of the best:
- BetterTouchTool: really powerful app for customizing various input devices on your Mac
- BusyCal: The Best Contact Manager App for Mac
- BusyContacts: The Best Contact Manager App for Mac
- Ulysses: one of the best writing apps on macOS and iOS
- MoneyWiz: for managing your finances
- Mockuuups Studio: create mockups with a couple of clicks
- CleanMyMac X: keep your mac healthy
- Gemini: find and delete duplicate pictures and files
- Detail: use your iPhone as a webcam
- Unite: convert websites to standalone apps
- AdGuard: one of the best adblockers for iOS and macOS
- OpenIn: open different links on different browsers
- Wokabulary: flash card app for learning new languages
- TripMode: save MBs while tethering
As you can see, there are apps for everything, Setapp is not just for developers as many people often think.
Is Setapp Worth it?
Depending on your situation, it may be difficult to decide if Setapp is right for you, as many of the applications you will find here can be purchased independently, and no one knows how often these apps will be updated and you should buy them again.
But many other applications operate under a subscription model, so if you want to use them, it’s really easy to see if Setapp is worth it.
- Ulysses costs $50 / year on their website
- Mockuuups Studio $110/year on their website
I could continue, but you see where this is going, as the yearly Setapp subscription costs about $107.
If you use just a couple of this kind of apps (Ulysses, CleanMyMac, Gemini, Paste, Focus, MoneyWiz…) Setapp is not only worth it, but it will save you money.
Leave a Reply