Typefully is an online tool that will allow you to easily grow your Twitter audience thanks to all the tools for writing, engaging with your audience, and publishing that it offers.
By the time of writing this review, is used by almost 40,000 users, so even though this application is relatively young, you can get an idea of its potential.
What is Typefully and how to get it
Typefully is an app for Twitter content creators.
That is, it is not a place to read tweets (aka Twitter client) but a place to write and publish tweets and threads (among other things you’ll see throughout the review)
Currently, there is no standalone app for your Mac/PC or iPhone/Android device, so you’ll have to go to Typefully.com if you want to use it.
There, all you need to do is just sign-up with your Twitter account.
You could also try the interface hitting “or try instead”, a detail that is appreciated, but “signing up” using your account is so simple that it is what I recommend you do.
Can I use Typefully as a standalone App?
If you don’t want to work on a browser tab, there is a trick you can try.
This is, use a 3rd party app to convert the website into a native app.
There are mainly two apps you can use to achieve this:
- Unite: only available on macOS. It costs $25, but you can use it for free if you already have a Setapp subscription (what is Setapp?)
- WebCatalog: available on macOS, Windows, and even Linux. For a single $40 payment you’ll be able to turn unlimited websites into desktop apps.
On your smartphone, the only thing you can do is visit the Typefully website and add it to your homescreen. It will work as a native app (kind of!)
Typefully review, what does this application offer?
Once you sign-up (actually, log-in) with your Twitter account, you’ll meet the main interface of Typefully which, as you will see, is tremendously minimalist.
Powerful editor and content manager
From the main interface, you can start writing right away (as long as you are in the “Write” tab at the top of the page)
If you do so, you’ll quickly notice a couple of things:
First (1), is that Typefully auto-organizes your content on the sidebar using Drafts.
A draft is a tweet or a series of tweets (thread) that you haven’t published yet.
This is pretty cool, because not every time you find yourself inspired, it’s the ideal time to post your tweet or thread (more on this below!)
Second (2), this editor allows you to add:
- Images from your computer (tip: quickly import them using ⌘/Ctrl + i)
- GIFs from Giphy.
- Videos (only available on paid plans)
You can even quote other Tweets by just pasting their link!
And if you want to use emojis, this is as easy as using a colon : followed by the name of the icon, like :hand:.
Twitter Thread Creator
With Typefully you can’t just post a single tweet, but whole Threads!
Starting a thread is as simple as hitting the small +plus button, or:
- Hit enter three times
- Or ⌘/Ctrl ↩
You’ll always be able to see the tweet you are writing (#1, #2, #3…) and what is more important, you can easily rearrange them just by dragging and dropping from the icon on their left.
If you write a long thread, I suggest you activate the High Fidelity Mode you’ll find on the bottom, because you’ll see the thread exactly as it will be displayed on Twitter.
As an extra, if you are creating a really long Twitter Thread, click the icon on the right of the High Fidelity Mode to launch the Focus mode.
You’ll get rid of the distractions, and thus have a better writing environment.
Having a good writing environment is one of the tips we give if you want to write 1,000 words a day (or more).
Autoenumerate tweets, and quote the first tweet of a thread
These two extra features are for the pros.
At the bottom of the interface, you’ll find two icons that can vitaminize your threads.
- Numbered list icon: this will auto-number all the tweets of your thread to make it easier for your audience to follow the content.
- Quote icon: with this you’ll be able to quote the first tweet of the thread in the last one. Usually, this is used to request a retweet in order to increase engagement.
These two features aren’t available on the free plan though.
You’ll learn more about this in the pricing section.
As you have seen throughout this article, you can post your tweets or threads directly with the blue “tweet” button, but you could also schedule them using the orange “schedule” button.
If you want to schedule, either a tweet or a thread, you’ll find a bunch of options to do it.
- Pick a specific date and time: either using the calendar, or just writing “tomorrow at 9am”, or “in 3 hours”
- Next free slot: add the tweet/thread to the next available spot on your content calendar (more on slots below)
- Select a specific slot
- Find the best time: Typefully will pick for you the best date and time in order to get the best engagement.
About the Slots
Slots are the times and days of the week you want your content to be published.
They are very useful so you don’t have to pick a specific date and time every time you want to schedule something.
You’ll find them on the “Queue” tab on the sidebar.
Other features before publishing
If you are scheduling a tweet/thread, you’ll also find 3 interesting options in the popup window that will appear:
- Auto retweet: lets you schedule and auto-retweet of your thread, for instance, “12 hours after publishing”.
- Auto plug: lets you auto-reply to your own thread if you get the likes or retweets you specify. This is very useful to be prepared in case your content goes viral.
- Unroll and publish to the profile: if you are proud of your content, you can unroll it and publish it to your profile as a “blog post”
You are now probably wondering what is a Typefully profile.
This is just a micro-site hosted at Typefully (it looks like typefully.com/yourUsername)
They are free to use, and they are really cool.
They will let your audience read your tweets in a more beautiful interface, follow you via RSS, and quickly visit your site or other social networks if they like your content!
This is like a link-in-bio site created with Carrd, but with auto-updated content.
- Tip: highlight your best threads on your profile so they are not forgotten!
Once you’ve been using Typefully for a while, don’t forget to visit the Grow Tab.
You’ll find there detailed analytics about how your audience has been growing, impressions, engagement rate, profile conversion rate, Tweeting Streak, Engagement during the day, and a summary of your tweets.
This as a 7 days view, 14 days, one month 3 months, or a custom timeframe.
Finally, if you don’t work alone, you’ll enjoy the collaboration tools that Typefully offers.
You can share a link to a draft, so you and your teammates can collaborate on the content creation.
In the last release of Typefully you can even let anyone join your team and share Twitter accounts with you, and set permissions for your team members to publish and edit content.
Typefully offers two main level plans:
- A completely Free plan, which has several limitations.
- And the Paid Plans, which are divided into 3 levels:
- Starter ($8/mo)
- Creator ($19/mo)
- Steam ($39/mo)
Typefully for free
If you want, you can use Typefully for free forever.
As you have seen, it has a fantastic editor, it’s great for writing threads, and if you have many ideas in your head, it will be of great help to organize them through drafts.
Plus, you could have your own profile to give your threads the importance they deserve.
However, that’s all you’ll get.
All the other cool tools, like Scheduling, analytics, engagement, and collaboration tools, and simple things like adding video to the tweets, are not available on the free plan.
The Paid Typefully Plans aim at users who want to make the most of their efforts on Twitter.
- Adding videos to your tweets/threads is a higher level in terms of content creation, and will at least, generate much more retention.
- Engagement tools will help you out growing faster, quoting the first tweet on threads, auto-retweeting your best performing threads, or auto numbering them.
- The Analytics will help you better understand your audience.
- But the feature you’ll like the most, is the ability to schedule your Tweets/threads, so you can batch-work and distribute your content in a more efficient way.
The main difference between all the paid plans is basically the number of accounts you can connect to Typefully.
- The Starter Plan only allows you to connect 1, more than enough, as this plan is focused on solo-preneurs.
- Creator allows you to use up to 5 accounts, useful if you run a couple of projects and/or accounts.
- Team will let you connect unlimited accounts, is a plan focused on small businesses and companies, and it’s the only one that unlocks de Collaboration tools.
Wrap up, is Typefully worth it?
If until now you were writing your tweets and threads directly on Twitter, it’s time to stop, and start creating and organizing your content in Typefully.
Your productivity will increase thanks to the main interface the free plan offers.
About the paid plans.
The features they offer are focused on increasing your engagement and reach on Twitter.
And that’s good.
But keep in mind that this must reflect a benefit for your business.
By this I mean, Typefully may or may not be worth the price, this is entirely up to you.
But what you really need to consider is whether the investment of time in creating content on Twitter is bringing you a return on investment.
If it’s, or tweeting is a great hobby for you, then I recommend you join a Typefully paid plan.
You’ll definitely enjoy creating content on Twitter a lot more.